Martin House, so named after the owners and the bird, is located
in the Riverstone Retreat Centre, outside the tranquil town of
2007's workshops in straw/clay helped to construct this truly
unique building. This showcase home is a timber framed, straw/clay,
earth plastered marvel! The Martin house was a collaborative project
between Econest and Local Builders to utilize and implement local
natural materials in the construction of a timber framed straw-clay
85% of the materials in this home were derived from within 40
kilometres of the site. Of that 85%, a further 80% of the materials
used were directly from the property on which this home is located!
Some of the features of the Martin Home include:
• Durisol brand wood insulated concrete forms (made of 78%
• White cedar sill plates.
• Straw and clay exterior walls - these differ from straw
bale in that all of the fibres are coated with a clay “slip”
• White ash timber frame with cherry and elm accents. This
timber frame is a one-of-a-kind and utilizes curved material unimaginable
to most framers!
• Local “marl” earthen plasters.
• Masonry heater with pizza bake oven (the most efficient
and least polluting way to heat with wood)
• Constructed wetlands tertiary treatment system septic
• Reclaimed hardwood floors
• Natural finishes
• Hypo Allergenic whirlpool air jet spa
• Iceynene water accelerated insulation in the roof
• Wattle and daub interior partitions
• Silicate mineral paints
• Ledge-rock stone elements
For a detailed information list of the elements in this building,
This home will be available to rent by the night, weekend, or
week and is set on a scenic beautiful property on the Saugeen
River. There are plenty of camping and other accommodations on
the property as well.
Contact Ernie & Edith Martin at Riverstone: